[Web4lib] get rid of the www?

William Melody w-melody at northwestern.edu
Fri Jul 1 11:49:01 EDT 2005

Nina,

both URLs absolutely should be pointing to the same place.  www.foo.bar and
foo.bar are meant to be the same thing in a web browser.  the www was just
originally to distinguish it as a web request rather than a mail or ftp
request, but it's really unnecessary and, to many people, outdated.  Having
them point to two different places is a big mistake and non-standard, so
I'd say changing the catalog URL to something unique and more appropriate,
like catalog.georgetown.edu, should be a priority.

At 09:12 AM 7/1/2005, Nina McHale wrote:
>I'm wondering if anyone out there has done away with this particular
>situation as a result of the www not being necessary:  Our *library* home
>page is www.library.georgetown.edu; our *catalog* home page is
>library.georgetown.edu.  Our campus web folks have started omitting the
>www on their new sites, and we've gotten one professor complaining that
>our home page keeps changing: "sometimes it's a homepage, sometimes it's a
>keyword search" (the catalog).  Our catalog does have links to "library
>home," but I'm wondering if this kind of complaint will become more and
>more frequent.  Is it worth worrying about at this point?  At least one
>user has obviously gotten used to the lack of www.  Will the library look
>uncool? :)
>
>If you've done away with the www, how did you deal with the catalog
>overlap, if it existed?  Is it just a matter of reconfiguring our catalog
>and web servers?
>
>--
>Nina McHale

William Melody