[Web4lib] get rid of the www?

Nina McHale nlm25 at georgetown.edu
Fri Jul 1 10:12:54 EDT 2005

I'm wondering if anyone out there has done away with this particular
situation as a result of the www not being necessary:  Our *library*
home page is www.library.georgetown.edu; our *catalog* home page is
library.georgetown.edu.  Our campus web folks have started omitting the
www on their new sites, and we've gotten one professor complaining that
our home page keeps changing: "sometimes it's a homepage, sometimes it's
a keyword search" (the catalog).  Our catalog does have links to
"library home," but I'm wondering if this kind of complaint will become
more and more frequent.  Is it worth worrying about at this point?  At
least one user has obviously gotten used to the lack of www.  Will the
library look uncool? :)

If you've done away with the www, how did you deal with the catalog
overlap, if it existed?  Is it just a matter of reconfiguring our
catalog and web servers?

--
Nina McHale
Reference Librarian/Web Services Coordinator
nlm25 at georgetown.edu
202-687-6818