[WEB4LIB] Locked PDF files

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Mon Jan 31 12:30:21 EST 2005

This is a wonderful example of DRM gone awry. It looks like their PDF
creation software defaults to dis-allowing all of the functions that are
covered by the Adobe content protection mechanism. (You can see the
options in file/document properties/security.) Not only can you not
print this document, if you highlight an area and try to copy it to the
clipboard, nothing will go to the clipboard. Are you feeling safer now?

As for getting around it, the software created by the Russian company
Elcomsoft was designed precisely to break through the Adobe protection
system (albeit an earlier version). Of course, that's why their
programmer, Dmitry Sklyarov, was arrested when he came to this country.
Breaking through the protection system is a violation of the DMCA.

The only thing to do is to notify the creator of his error and ask that
an unprotected file be posted. It's either that, or try to print the
whole thing as screen shots. Fortunately, Microsoft will soon be
providing us with an operating system that will prevent those screen
shot captures from being used on protected materials. Then we'll REALLY
be safe.

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net