[WEB4LIB] New search engine

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Wed Jan 26 10:37:16 EST 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Roy Tennant wrote:

> Have people seen <http://beta.exalead.com/>? What do you think of it? I
> like the thumbnail screenshots, but that isn't the only feature it has.
> Roy

Roy, what other features were you thinking of? I didn't see anything in
nice, and being able to switch between page-image display and text display
is nice if you are a visual person, but what else?

I found the relevancy ranking is wildly different than Google, so it might
be good to just see different results, although (frankly) I liked Google's
ranking better. I like Yahoo's ranking even better than Google's, but
dislike their interface.

Right now, my favorite search toy is A9.com, although it isn't really new.
I like A9 best when I am in a hurry and unfamiliar with the topic I am
searching -- it gives a real quick jumpstart contextual search, especially
if I use the combination display with web / images / books / reference.

Patricia Anderson, pfa at umich.edu