Free/OpenSource /LowCost Journal Management Software?

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Mon Jan 24 17:30:10 EST 2005

_Free/OpenSource /LowCost Journal Management Software?_

For a future eProfile for my _Library Hi Tech News_ column, I am
greatly interested
in learning of Any and All

Free/OpenSource/LowCost Journal Management Software/Systems

Among the software/systems I have identified are

epress

[ http://www.epress.ac.uk/ ]

"The epress journal management system helps editors and publishers of
academic journals organise the flow of submissions, book reviews and
journal issues. It is a web-based system which means that editors and
publishers can work anywhere in the world where there is Internet
access. The system prompts users through all the stages of journal
administration, from selecting and inviting referees, chasing late
reports, sending decision letters to authors, to publishing an issue.
Although primarily deigned for managing electronic journals, it is also
invaluable for conventional paper-based journals. For electronic
journals, it manages notifications of new issues, generating RSS news
feeds and files for content alert services. There are many other
features that are invaluable for journal editors and publishers."

AND

Open Journal Systems
[ http://www.pkp.ubc.ca/ojs/  ]

"Open Journal Systems (OJS) is a journal management and publishing
system that has been developed by the Public Knowledge Project through
its federally funded efforts to expand and improve access to research.
OJS assists with every stage of the refereed publishing process, from
submissions through to online publication and indexing. Through its
management systems, its finely grained indexing of research, and the
context it provides for research, OJS seeks to improve both the
scholarly and public quality of referred research. OJS is open source
software made freely available to journals worldwide for the purpose of
making open access publishing a viable option for more journals, as open
access can increase a journal's readership as well as its contribution
to the public good on a global scale ... "

This planned eProfile will complement one devoted to commercial systems
in which I profiled
in my  column a two-and-half years ago:

"Web-based Journal Manuscript Management and Peer-Review Systems and
Services"
_Library Hi Tech News_ 19, no. 7 (August 2002): 31-43. Self-archived
at:
[ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/PeerSoft.pdf ] .

TIA!

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
and
Science and Technology Librarian and Bibliographer
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu