[WEB4LIB] Remote access (proxy/VPN, etc)?

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed Jan 19 11:48:41 EST 2005

I use a python script(below) that automatically checks the user's IP
number when the page is opened.  I only need to check the first two
octets.  In my page I use something like:

<dtml-call "REQUEST.set('local',my_script(REMOTE_ADDR))">

<dtml-if local><a href="my.local.url"><dtml-else><a
href="my.notlocal.url"></dtml-if>Click Here</a>

A value of 1 or 0 is assigned to "local".  This is a Zope server but I
suspect you could do it with Apache, python or perl, and PHP.  In this
case the local URL is the URL that normally connects to the database or
product.  Having a III system, the notlocal URL rewrites the URL to use
the III proxy.

So this will work if you have access to the server for scripting and you
have some type of proxy service available.

Also, at the UNC Cause Conference in October 2004 in Boone, NC there was
a presentation which described how the user would authenticate through a
Novell Server which the Novell Server would then proxy all links he
connected through.  I think there was some Java also.  This was the UNC
Charlotte Library.  http://library.uncc.edu/remote/new.php
Maybe someone from UNC C can chime in.

Link to UNC CAUSE proposal for this presentation:
http://www.unccause.org/cause04/ProposalDetails.php?id=64

Link to UNC CAUSE Schedule for that day:
http://www.unccause.org/cause04/schedule-TUES.html

Thomas

my_script.py (this could easily be rewritten in Perl or other scripting
languages or your choice):

import string

#Split the IP address on the dots
my_split=string.split(ipnum,'.')