[WEB4LIB] Third-party access to patron info

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Fri Jan 14 16:09:49 EST 2005

> In effect, users are consenting to give away the
> privacy of their library accounts that the library itself has
> worked hard to protect.

Jerry;

As a user of LibraryElf I think you've made the argument right in your above
text. It's the user's choice to allow the third-party to have access to this
information. This is no different than my deciding to share my library card
and associated information with a spouse, friend, etc. As long as I know
that I'm doing exactly that and what the potential repercussions are, why
should it be the concern of the library.

Now, if the library was to do this on my behalf, without my permission, then
I'd have a significant problem.

Michael Sauers, Librarian, Trainer & Author
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: 303-751-6277 x110 :: msauers at bcr.org