[WEB4LIB] Google Scholar, Firefox, and OpenURLs

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Tue Jan 11 02:46:08 EST 2005

Peter Binkley's "proof-of-concept" got us pretty excited about
Firefox and the possibilities of using plug-ins to put OpenURL's
EVERYWHERE they belong - including Google Scholar.

One of our engineers, Tom Ventimiglia, has spent a fair amount of
time working on what Peter started to see how far it would go.

Tom has added
1. NISO OpenURL 1.0 support. OpenURL 1.0 lets you do some really
interesting things such as put the "referring entity" and "referent"
url's into the openURL.

2. Integration of DOIs and PMIDs into OpenURLs. This results in real
usability of the resulting OpenURL's when you're doing research such
as in the biomedical area. This pulls information from all links
provided by Google, not just the first one.

3. An "Options" window for entering library-specific configuration
(linkserver url, link text, image, openurl version).

4. Profiles to allow users to quickly change the tool's configuration.

5. Automatic updates via Firefox's update service. We thought this
was very important since you never know what google is going to do
with their html.

"OpenURL Referrer" is available at http://www.openly.com/openurlref/
It can be used with OpenURL 0.1 or 1.0 linkservers such as 1Cate,
SFX, Sirsi Resolver, LinkFinderPlus, LinkSource, OLink, LinkSolver,
OL2, Swetswise Linker, ArticleLinker, etc.

It's free; full source and data are available under the Mozilla
"Tri-license" (MPL+GPL+LGPL).

The interesting thing looking forward is not so much that this works
for Google Scholar (which has to be considered promising but
incomplete at this stage), but that it could work pretty well for
some of information services that haven't "gotten it" yet.

Eric

--

Eric Hellman, President                            Openly Informatics, Inc.
eric at openly.com                                    2 Broad St., 2nd Floor