[WEB4LIB] Seeing ourselves as others see us

Larry Campbell larry.campbell at ubc.ca
Fri Jan 7 18:07:25 EST 2005

Not to get all postmodern or anything, but what I find most interesting
about the wikipedia as a web phenomenon is the way in which it affects
the whole idea/ideal of "authority" and "expertise". We all know enough
to smile at the naivete of those who would cite a newspaper or a TV
report as evidence of a "fact" (even though such media are screened and
edited), but have we occasionally been a little simplistic ourselves, in
info-literacy classes for example, in holding up sources like
encyclopedias and peer-reviewed journals as guarantors of fact or truth?
That is, perhaps the wikipedia isn't so much imitating the authority of
the encyclopedia but rather inducing a more critical awareness of the
nature and limits of "authority" as such.

Larry Campbell
Librarian, Information Technology Services
UBC Library
Email: larry.campbell at ubc.ca
Telephone: (604) 822-2076