[WEB4LIB] Re: "Generation shifts" and technology

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Fri Jan 7 10:53:18 EST 2005

These are starting to sound like Exit Polls to me where Exit Polls only
show results of people willing to answer polls.  I think more accurately
the example shown below is that more young people use Friendster not
necessarily technology.  I expect you might find on Geneaology.com that
younger people aren't the majority users.  My father is in his 80s and
was using his CPM computer up until early to mid 1990s and then moved to
MS Windows.

  The duck to water point appears to be more accurate to me although
more people are getting an introduction to computers, in most places, at
an earlier age than I did.  I was intrigued in high school with the
first computer I saw, about 1973, which only had a paper output (no
monitor) and you could play chess on it.  Then wrote my first program on
a Timex Sinclair computer, not much larger than today's handhelds, in
BASIC in early to mid 1980s.

  The Meyers Briggs test would probably tell you more about people
relating to technology than age.  And MB would probably give you more of
an indication how deep into technology one might go, such as a
programmer as opposed to a computer graphics artist.

Thomas