New Directions

Auld, Skip AuldH at chesterfield.gov
Sat Jan 8 20:17:04 EST 2005

To friends and readers of ALA Member-Forum, Publib, Web4Lib, and various
other lists (with for duplication of this message):

       Two years ago, many of you marked my name on the ALA Council
ballot with the expectation that I would represent your views, values,
and priorities.  Last week I decided that, because of my higher personal
costs associated with attending conferences, and because I have
college-age children, I will be unable to attend conferences this year.
With regret, I resigned my position as councilor-at-large and ALA
Council representative to the Planning & Budget Assembly, as well as
American Libraries Advisory Committee member.

       As I said in a message to the Council list, I am very proud of my
library system and appreciate the tremendous financial support it has
provided over the past decade for me to become involved and contribute
whatever talents I have to our professional associations.  Our library
system has historically tried to support all staff who want to attend
conferences with time off to attend, as well as funding within our
available resources.

       Being elected to the ALA Council was a great honor and
responsibility, and I have enjoyed debating and being a part of the
great work of our noble profession of service to others.  I will
continue this work through service in my own local community here "in
the trenches."  And I will continue seeking your ideas for topics for
the "Perspectives" column in Public Libraries magazine.  Thank you and
please keep in touch.

Hampton (Skip) Auld
Assistant Director
Chesterfield County Public Library