[WEB4LIB] Re: "Imagining the Internet" predictions database

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue Jan 11 17:11:39 EST 2005

> I'm painfully aware that when I'm digitizing engineering journals from
> the 1870s ( http://runeberg.org/tektid/ ), I'm perpetuating the
> historic male dominance in that field.  Should I just stop, and do
> something else instead?  Should I limit myself to fashion magazines?
> Or perhaps I make it easier for young women to cultivate an interest
> in engineering by making these old journals more easily available?

Writing only personally: Several of us were making the observation that the
list of "key personalities" was largely male. There are many reasons that is
so, few of which should be discussed on this particular discussion list, but
I know I was relieved when Karen Coyle made her observation because it had
preyed on my mind. I'm glad someone noticed and spoke up.

I'm not sure how observations about gender disparities in technology fields
lead to Lars' comments, but I don't read fashion magazines (unless you count
Vanity Fair), and I am disappointed by that comment.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com