[WEB4LIB] RE: "Generation shifts" and technology

arhyno at uwindsor.ca arhyno at uwindsor.ca
Thu Jan 6 14:51:00 EST 2005

At one point in Canada, at least, the fastest growing segment of Internet
users were senior citizens. If there is a generation shift, I wonder if
its more slanted towards awareness of bias, or suspicion of conspiracy, or
some other combination that reflects phenomena like the X-Files and
Michael Moore. This is where I think wikipedia is so interesting since a
variety of viewpoints fight it out and the world is not always neatly
folded into one entry. The slashdot discussions on Sanger's article have
had some contributors weighing in, including the current featured article
director of wikipedia, and there is no doubt that controversial subjects
end up with editing and behavior issues. But when wikipedia works well,
and it often does, it is quite remarkable. See this entry via Seb's Open
Research blog for example,
http://radio.weblogs.com/0110772/2005/01/05.html#a1675. It would be useful
to have better mechanisms for disclosure of subject background,
credentials, bias, and so on, but the wikipedia folks seem to want this
too.

art