[WEB4LIB] USB Flash Drives

Alnisa Allgood alnisa at nonprofit-tech.org
Fri Feb 4 15:24:11 EST 2005

Hi Tom:

Two things, first, the Stop USB Device, while in the Task Bar (actually its in the system tray), does not have to be there. You could place it on the desktop of the computer or elsewhere were users could access it.

Second, typically speaking, removing the USB drive cold from the computer should be fine. But this is more dependent on the drive rather than the mechanism itself. Just like some USB drives require software, while most are interchangeable with no software other than USB2 required.

My experience has been that if the drive required software to be installed before its first use, then it will occasionally have problems if the user doesn't follow the eject USB device method. Typically this problems aren't immediate, and even when they are they are rarely serious. For example, I've seen some drives that will display the this device wasn't properly removed message when placed into a new computer. Typically, the issue is small enough that Windows ScanDisk can repair.

But most drives are 'hotswapable' the message to eject the device is optional. But if you want to be safe rather than sorry, just place the eject USB Device icon on the desktop or in the allowed toolbar, or whatever you have set-up for users.

Alnisa