[WEB4LIB] The Ur-Podcast

Fiona Bradley fiona.bradley at sbs.com.au
Tue Feb 1 17:46:31 EST 2005

How do you define podcast? Do you only include links via enclosures and
RSS? If so, then Greg is the first.

Otherwise, I used to have a weekly library news show on public radio
and made it available for download each week before RSS came along, in
RealAudio because I didn't have the bandwidth for MP3 at the time. This
was from 2001-2003.

People used to laugh when I told them I had a show about libraries on
radio ("what could there be to talk about?"), but when I told them that
it was all about government policy, copyright, access to information
etc, they all tuned in! And it was in prime time, no less. ;)

cheers,
Fiona

>>> "K.G. Schneider" <kgs at bluehighways.com> 2/02/2005 5:18:10 am >>>
I have been looking around and I believe Greg Schwartz of Open Stacks
can
claim the first librarian podcasts, q.v.:

http://openstacks.net/os/archives/000732.html#000732

(It's possible I'm first runner-up in the Podcasting Librarian
contest,
since I did one early this morning on Free Range Librarian, but in
terms of
the historical benchmark, does anyone have earlier examples than
Greg's?)

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com