[WEB4LIB] Re: Locked PDF files

Athena Hoeppner athena at mail.ucf.edu
Tue Feb 1 09:29:09 EST 2005

Well, now I feel silly.  I accidentally clicked on the 2004 Schedule
when testing Firefox last time.  The 2004 Schedule does not block
printing.  I cannot print the 2005 Scheduel in Firefox.

Sorry about that.

Athena

Athena Hoeppner wrote:

>I can print from the document just fine if I use Mozilla FireFox.
>Printing, and all other "security" options show as is disallowed in
IE
>and in Opera.

The print icon is grayed out when I open this in Firefox 1.0, and
clicking on file/print doesn't cause anything to happen. What version
of
Firefox are you using?

kc

>Athena

>This is a wonderful example of DRM gone awry. It looks like their PDF

>creation software defaults to dis-allowing all of the functions that
>are
>covered by the Adobe content protection mechanism. (You can see the
>options in file/document properties/security.) Not only can you not
>print this document, if you highlight an area and try to copy it to
the

>clipboard, nothing will go to the clipboard. Are you feeling safer
>now?
>
>As for getting around it, the software created by the Russian company

>Elcomsoft was designed precisely to break through the Adobe
protection

>system (albeit an earlier version). Of course, that's why their
>programmer, Dmitry Sklyarov, was arrested when he came to this
country.

>Breaking through the protection system is a violation of the DMCA.
>
>The only thing to do is to notify the creator of his error and ask
that

>an unprotected file be posted. It's either that, or try to print the
>whole thing as screen shots. Fortunately, Microsoft will soon be
>providing us with an operating system that will prevent those screen
>shot captures from being used on protected materials. Then we'll
REALLY

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net