[WEB4LIB] library marketing was RE: Google Mail

Sokvitne, Lloyd O lloyd.sokvitne at education.tas.gov.au
Thu Feb 17 19:14:35 EST 2005

Nor should we forget that some of the best marketing comes from the
actual services we deliver. One of the most persuasive arguments I have
come across recently regarding the provision of new (ie. trendy) IT and
web-based services for our clients is that by providing these services,
even for small amounts of tech-savy youth, we are sowing seeds that will
bear fruit later on: including positive attitudes to the library amongst
people who may otherwise feel libraries are not for them, and increase
the likelihood they will return to the library in the long term for
traditional services.

Afterall, isn't this what we do regarding story-telling, holiday
activities etc for young kids.  We want them to come back in the long
term, we want them to have strong and positive associations about
libraries.  So we spend lots of time and money providing special
services for that segment of the population.  Offering Instant
Messaging, SMS, RSS, blogs, whatever, is in a similar vein, just for a
different demographic.

Other benefits include keeping our staff up to date with technology,
which is quite a good thing (although many staff would rather not deal
with change - another topic altogether).

Lloyd Sokvitne
Senior Manager (Systems Support and Development)
State Library of Tasmania
91 Murray Street, Hobart
Tasmania           Australia       7000
Ph - (03) 6233 7632
Fax - (03) 6231 0927
Mobile - 0417 120 320
Email: lloyd.sokvitne at education.tas.gov.au
WWW: www.tas.gov.au ; www.service.tas.gov.au

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

Information in this transmission is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised and you should delete/destroy all copies and notify the sender. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission.

This disclaimer has been automatically added.