Floppy Disk is Not Accessible, Not Formatted, or

Dale Goodell goodeld at wou.edu
Thu Feb 17 13:41:19 EST 2005

The problems with floppies described in this thread are all-to-familiar to us.

Over the last couple of years, my success rate with Bad Copy Pro has steadilly decreased and I would say that I have roughly a 50% recovery rate recovering files using DOS.

A couple of years ago when I posed this very question to this list, I believe at least one reply suggested the problems could have something to do with incompatibilities between the various versions and flavors of Windows at the file system level; that students working on both library workstations and their home PC (possibly different versions of Windows and different file systems) may have an increased likelihood of seeing these problems.  Of course, this particular theory doesn't explain why students only using library workstations, configured identically, will experience the same problems.

Thanks for this great discussion!

-Dale

Dale E. Goodell
Information Technology Consultant