[WEB4LIB] RE: Podcasting via cell phone

David King DavidKing at kclibrary.org
Thu Feb 17 12:36:48 EST 2005

> No. It isn't. You syndicated the text of whatever you wrote in the
entry,
> but you didn't syndicate (make available to aggregators) the media
file.
> Not to be too picky, but I don't want people to be unclear about
podcasting.
> Uploading MP3s is not podcasting, even if you put them on a blog. You
have to
> make them available in a way that the files can be discovered by
supporting
> RSS aggregators.

In my "new but still limited" understanding, even THAT explanation is a
little unclear. Because at least in SOME RSS aggregators, the audio part
of the audio blog that was done would show up as a clickable icon that
could then be listened to - at least, that's how bloglines handles
Blogger's audio posts. You get a fancy Play button that opens up an MP3
player.

The thing that makes a podcast a true podcast is this: the actual MP3
file needs to be aggregated by a podcast aggregator (like ipodder). It
actually transfers the mp3 file to your mp3 player automatically.

I think you certainly understand the process - just thought the
"discovered by supporting RSS aggregators" part needed a little more
clarification for those who are new to the podcast process (really, I'm
there, too - just learned this part of the process myself last week).

David King
http://daweed.blogspot.com