[WEB4LIB] RE: Podcasting via cell phone

Karen Coombs coombsk at cortland.edu
Thu Feb 17 11:13:09 EST 2005

Bill,

What makes a podcast a podcast is that the feed includes an enclosure
tag that links to the audio content. Below is an example item from the
RSS feed on my Library Web Chic blog.

<item>
<title>Library Web Chic Podcast #1</title>
<link>http://www.librarywebchic.net/2005/02/10.html#a205</link>
<description>
<h4>Library Web Chic Podcast #1</h4>
etc). So here is my first podcast!</p>
href="http://www.librarywebchic.net/podcasts/lwc_podcast1.mp3">http://ww
</description>
<guid>http://www.librarywebchic.net/2005/02/10.html#a205</guid>
<pubDate>Fri, 11 Feb 2005 02:33:51 GMT</pubDate>
<enclosure url="http://www.librarywebchic.net/podcasts/lwc_podcast1.mp3"
length="4040" type="text/html"/>
</item>

See the enclosure tag. This is what lets a podcast aggregator like
iPodder pick up the podcast for you.
I don't think mine is complete right because I think the type attribute
should read "audio/mpeg". I haven't figured out how to get my blogging
software to do this yet though. The RSS 2.0 feed for Tame the Web has an
example of an enclosure done completely correct if you want to look at
one.

Karen A. Coombs
Electronic Services Librarian
SUNY Cortland