[WEB4LIB] Re: library marketing was RE: Google Mail

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 14 22:27:09 EST 2005

On Mon, February 14, 2005 10:06 pm, Fiona Bradley said:

> What does market share mean to libraries? Does it mean library
> systems
> competing with each other to achieve higher gate numbers?

Ok, "market share" might not be the right term.  What is "consumer
perception"?  When I think of books (or, increasingly, anything) I
immediately go to Amazon first.  If I'm in a strange town and
thirst for a cup of coffee, I immediately would seek a Starbucks
(this isn't entirely true, but there is some truth to this),
especially if I didn't see any other viable options nearby.

> I searched Starbucks' annual report for 2004 and didn't find any
> market
> share figures (no surprise there). Someone with access to business
> databases should be able to find this information though, if they
> feel
> the need!

Actually, someone should be able to right-mouse click on the
Starbucks' prospectus page and be presented with a menu of items
from their local library's databases that would be relevant to
looking at Starbucks' prospectus.  That's what I mean by ubiquity.

> Agreed. As bad as card catalogues were, they were pretty much the
> same
> in every library. Now, users have to learn new ways to search
> every time
> they use a new library. We are expecting too much of users.

This is so true.  And I believe we buy into this myth of "the
power user" who would be disappointed if we didn't provide the
format of the MARC record in our catalog.  I do think some of our
users are sophisticated, but that's no reason not to come up with
something better or more intuitive.  We're not selling out if we
do.

> Most websites tend to have a larger audience than those situated
> geographically close to the local library, so it makes sense to
> link to
> sites that are perceived to be global like Amazon.

This is because we aren't desperately coming up with ways to make
the web work for us.  We are a reactive and conservative bunch, by
and large.  Some proactive innovation could serve us well.

 Though
> certainly it
> would be nice if people started linking to National Library
> holdings,
> that would be a start. And libraries could have a great
> opportunity to
> widen their profile in the local community if they developed ways
> link to catalogue items on the websites of local radio stations,
> newspapers, and other organisations.

This would definitely be a step in the right direction.

-Ross.

        This email was composed using the GTEL Webmail client.

to  which  it  is  addressed  and  may  contain  confidential  and/or
priviledged  material. Any  review, retransmission,  dissemination or
other  use  of, or  taking  of any  action  in  reliance  upon, this
information  by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is prohibited.

           Georgia Tech Library and Information Center
                  http://www.library.gatech.edu