[WEB4LIB] ARL Webcast: Libraries and Theri Role in the Academic Institution

lyceum at arl.org lyceum at arl.org
Wed Feb 9 13:45:18 EST 2005

Teaching, Learning, & Research:
Libraries and Their Role in the Academic Institution
http://www.arl.org/training/webcast/tlr/

Live Event Date
Tuesday, March 1, 2005
3-4:30 p.m. EST (12 noon-1:30 p.m. Pacific)

Registration
$150 ARL Members/$200 Nonmembers
Register Online: https://db.arl.org/training/webcast.html
Registration Deadline: Friday, February 25, 2005

About the Webcast
The past several decades have witnessed unprecedented change in
libraries and higher education. New technologies have led to new ways of
creating and sharing scholarly information. There has also been a
growing focus on assessment, an increasingly diverse range of students
and library users, and tightening constraints on resources. Libraries
and academic institutions are adapting to these changes with a variety
of solutions, such as campus portals, course management systems,
federated search engines, and chat reference. Over the years, librarians
have served as gatekeepers to campus information resources and ensured
that users learn how to identify, select, and value resources in
research, learning, and teaching.

As we move ahead in this evolving environment, we find ourselves
recognizing the vast role that libraries play in research and education.
But how best to proceed? How can our libraries and staff most
effectively engage in the transformations affecting their institutions
and users? How do we ensure that we coordinate our work with that going
on in classrooms on the other side of campus or projects across the
continent?

In this live, interactive webcast presenters will look at these
questions and share some local approaches to how the library is
positioning itself in this environment. Duane Webster of ARL will
introduce the webcast, followed by Julia Blixrud of ARL, who will look
more closely at this issue as it has been playing out in the academic
library community and highlight some possible future directions for ARL
libraries. Stanley Wilder of the University of Rochester will then share
some of his own thoughts on the role of a librarian in teaching,
learning, and research. A final panelist, to be confirmed soon, will
present additional perspectives on the opportunities for libraries in
the transformation of student learning. We encourage you to join us in
exploring this topic with colleagues on your campus and with fellow
participants in this event.

Target Audience

 Staff from throughout the library
 Faculty, researchers, administrators
 Library school faculty and students
 Anyone interested in the library's role in higher education

Questions?
For more information, including recommended resources, technology
requirements, and FAQs, please visit the GIS webcast home at
http://www.arl.org/training/webcast/gis/ or contact Karen A. Wetzel,
ARL/OLMS Program Officer for Distance Learning, at karen at arl.org or by
phone at 202-296-8656.

--