[WEB4LIB] RE: Free Virtual Reference Software

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Mon Feb 7 18:01:56 EST 2005

On Mon, February 7, 2005 9:11 am, Craighton Hippenhammer said:
> We use AIM, which we find better than several of the VR products out
> there.  There's still the problem of not much activity from the
> students, but it's been picking up some now that we pushed the service
> in our freshman comp classes this Spring.

I think an interesting approach would be to use a "multi-protocol" chat
client.  That way you wouldn't be tied to a particular network.  I often
ask students why they use one network over the other and basically it
boils down to whatever all their friends are using.

Here are a few "multi-protocol" clients to look at (GAIM & TRILLIAN):

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/learn/

LEO

Leo Robert Klein