[WEB4LIB] Hennepin County Library Online Resource Page

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Tue Feb 22 15:46:12 EST 2005

Hi Marilyn,

First, really really nice site!  Kudos to whoever designed it.

On your question about the Resource Page, I think it's wonderfully laid
out.  You really do get what most people are looking for.  Also, the way
you can switch from "Top" resources to "All" resources is pretty neat.

As a whole, I wonder if people looking for "articles" will be steered in
the right direction.  Besides that, the Section looks great -- as does the
site.

On the other hand, why believe me?  Have you done some usability tests on
it?  I find it the best way to confirm (or demolish) my design
assumptions.

LEO

On Tue, February 22, 2005 1:52 pm, turner, marilyn said:
> At Hennepin County Library we recently redesigned the way we present our
> selected Web sites and subscription databases to our users and invite
> you to take a look.  We brought these two resources together on a single
> Subject Guide and incorporated blog-like librarian notes, links into the
> Catalog, links into our e-Book collections and links to related library
> classes and events.  Also, custom booklists that link into the Catalog
> and RSS feeds from outside sources are incorporated directly into the
> page. =20
>
> Nearly 40 librarians throughout our system regularly maintain these
> pages via locally developed web administration tools.  Pictures of our
> librarians add a personal touch and reinforce the fact that "real"
> people are providing this content for the user.  Later this year we will
> add the capability to subscribe to the librarian notes via RSS and
> e-mail.  Librarians change their notes monthly or more frequently.
>
> Take a look at the Subject Guides at
> http://www.hclib.org/pub/search/reference.cfm
> or go to http://www.hclib.org and click on Subject guides

Leo Robert Klein