FW: LJ: ALA Prez-Elect Gorman on the "Blog People"

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Feb 24 18:38:37 EST 2005

(Note: based on the December traffic, I think most of the discussion
actually happened on Web4Lib, not blogs.)

http://tinyurl.com/5ujgt

In which we learn, in a response to blog entries critiquing Gorman's
December 2004 L.A. Times article about Google Print, that the library
blogging community is uneducated, fanatical, and obtuse. "[The] Blog People
(or their subclass who are interested in computers and the glorification of
information) have a fanatical belief in the transforming power of
digitization and a consequent horror of, and contempt for, heretics who do
not share that belief. ..."

"Given the quality of the writing in the blogs I have seen, I doubt that
many of the Blog People are in the habit of sustained reading of complex
texts. It is entirely possible that their intellectual needs are met by an
accumulation of random facts and paragraphs. ..."

Nice. Really nice. Good use of the ALA presidential bully pulpit. No
citations, of course.

K.G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com