[WEB4LIB] Re: Citation creation code?

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Thu Feb 24 15:47:13 EST 2005

The "why" isn't all that hard to answer, I don't think. It's
complicated, and actually difficult to do because of the great range of
citation "standards" and the even greater range of formatting of
bibliographic data that needs to be used for citations. One of the
things we desperately need is a standard citation "markup" that can be
used to generate the textual citations. As it is, every indexing
database, every document type, uses different fields, and some of them
use no markup of individual elements. So a citation like this:

Re-Presentations of the Past and the Imagining of Community." <i>
Journal of Historical Sociology</i> 1, no. 1 (1988): 33&#8211;57.
in some other system might be presented as:

AU Alonso, Ana M
TI The Effects of Truth: etc
JO J of Hist Soc
VO 1
NO 1
DT 1988
PP 33-57

And in yet another would be:

and the Imagining of Community."  Journal of Historical Sociology 1, no.
1 (1988): 33/57.

Making sense out of all of these in order to get them into a database is
quite a chore. Then you have to store the data in such a way that you
can derive any number of display formats. If nothing else we need a
standard markup for data elements along with an identifier saying what
format they think they are representing (APA, MLA, etc.). The big job
that folks like Endnote do is that they have separate parsing routines
for hundreds of different input formats.

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net