[WEB4LIB] Re: library marketing was RE: Google Mail invitations? Any takers?

arhyno at uwindsor.ca arhyno at uwindsor.ca
Wed Feb 16 13:36:21 EST 2005

>One of the things that have struck me about Amazon ever since they
started is
>the way they manage to position themsevles on the web in such a way that
>quite often walk through their virtual doors when I definitely did not
have
>that intention in the first place: a kind of "have you considered Amazon
as the
>solution to your current information need?"
>
>Is it technically feasible to create such an invitation to appear
whenever
>someone uses a search engine from the university domain? At least this
could
>act as a catchment area for customers who have already made up their
minds that
>Google is their first choice

It is probably technically feasible if you approach this the same way that
Amazon does, and pay for the placement in the results. Google Desktop puts
local searches on the top of general searches, so if you wanted to hand
out your catalogue with a mechanism for updates, you might get library
content in general internet searching space by staking out a section of
the desktop. Google has promised an API for the desktop tool so more
options might appear on this front, but even with a large foot in the
searching sphere, I worry more about what happens if Amazon's ubiquity
goes beyond search engines.

Amazon has done some work with Microsoft for integrating citations and
cover art into Office. I don't know the status of this project, but what
happens if that annoying paperclip wizard in Word might starts saying
things like "You seem to be working on an essay on trains, Amazon offers
the following books..". Ironically, ubiquitous searching and desktop
integration seemed to be a flop in 1997 or so when there was a utility
promoted by Alta Vista called SearchPal. Alta Vista was the biggest thing
in internet search at the time, and SearchPal was an interesting twist on
toolbars/bookmarklets since it was a standalone application that worked
with the clipboard and any application on the desktop. On the face of it,
SearchPal was like a more powerful browser toolbar, but it seemed to get
lost in the shuffle. Still, the idea of the library having a presence at
the "searchable" moment, both in the browser and elsewhere, is well worth
pursuing.

art