[WEB4LIB] Re: library marketing was RE: Google Mail invitations? Any takers?

Monica Hammes monica.hammes at ais.up.ac.za
Wed Feb 16 09:10:49 EST 2005

I want to link one of the headings of the Abram article, "Making the library
discoverable", to the ubiquity issue that has been mentioned throughout the
discussion.

One of the things that have struck me about Amazon ever since they started is
the way they manage to position themsevles on the web in such a way that I
quite often walk through their virtual doors when I definitely did not have
that intention in the first place: a kind of "have you considered Amazon as the
solution to your current information need?"

Is it technically feasible to create such an invitation to appear whenever
someone uses a search engine from the university domain? At least this could
act as a catchment area for customers who have already made up their minds that
Google is their first choice.

Monica Hammes

Quoting "Sloan, Bernie" <bernies at uillinois.edu>:

> This discussion reminds me of something Stephen Abram said in an
> article
> in the February 1 issue of Library Journal. He concludes the article
> by
> saying "Sixty-five million years ago the Age of Reptiles came to a
> cataclysmic extinction known as The Great Dying. There is still
> controversy over what happened, but all theories agree that the
> dinosaurs died out because the environment changed and they couldn't
> adapt. Librarians are well positioned to thrive. But the future is not
> what it used to be. Our enterprise is no longer an extension of the
> past."
>
> The full article is available at:
>
> Abram, Stephen. The Google Opportunity. Library Journal, 130(2),
> 34-35.
> February 1, 2005.
> http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA498846
>
> Bernie Sloan

Monica Hammes
E-Scholarship Coordinator
Academic Information Service
University of Pretoria
Pretoria
South Africa
Tel +27-12-4202845
This message and attachments are subject to a disclaimer. Please refer to
www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ for full details.

Hierdie boodskap en aanhangsels is aan \'n vrywaringsklousule onderhewig.
Volledige besonderhede is by
www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ beskikbaar.

Pretoria
South Africa