[WEB4LIB] re: web services (was: Re: library marketing was RE:

Stephen.DeGabrielle at nt.gov.au Stephen.DeGabrielle at nt.gov.au
Tue Feb 15 21:52:13 EST 2005

>> Both ExLibris and Sirsi have APIs

Why don't we have a common API for all ILS? - and demand these of our ILS
vendors.
(Libraries have always led the way in standards.)

I assume this list is as good a place as any to start the process.

What do list members think would be appropriate services for such and API?

I've never written a standard before - does anyone have any idea how to go
about it? (Those ATOM people seemed to have had some success)

here goes - starting with simple ones;
1) Control Number Lookup (ISBN/ISSN etc.) to support services like
'Library Lookup' by John Udell

2) New Books  see http://www.cdu.edu.au/library/rss.html  / http://www.librarystuff.net/2005/01/more-library-rss-feeds.html

3) Items Out
> An example of what the itemsout feed address should look like is
http://phoenix.ntu.edu.au/rss/itemsout.jsp?barcode=123456&pin=mypassword

4) Search(es) ( a few common ones)

5) Request Item ...
[I'm sure others on this list can think of more]

* All of course with HTML or XML(RSS if appropriate) output options to
allow human and machine operation.
(X)HTML - I'd like the 'Items-Out' feed from Charles Darwin University to
generate HTML so I could just have it as a bookmark in my browser (Which
would be quicker when checking from my mobile phone - and easier for my
mum who doesn't use a RSS reader and is not interested)
XML(or RSS) - I'd like to be able to use services like LibraryElf
[http://www.libraryelf.com/] at my library.

s.

Stephen De Gabrielle
8922 0887

I'm sick of the Internet - I want a yabby net.

Ross Singer <ross.singer at library.gatech.edu>
Sent by: web4lib at webjunction.org
16/02/2005 01:45 AM
Please respond to ross.singer