[WEB4LIB] re: web services

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Tue Feb 15 18:39:00 EST 2005

1Cate has always had a REST interface. JAKE had an OpenURL based web
services interface 5 years ago.

Perhaps I should explain. The basic difference between SOAP and REST
is pretty simple:

SOAP
client ----XML-----> service ------XML------> client

REST
client ----URL-----> service -----XML------> client

Library software has always suffered, I think, from being ahead of
its time. In the case of web services, Z39.50 was one of the first
widely deployed standards-based web services. So now we have
libraries standardized around a type of web-service that was invented
before the existence of technologies that that enable the current
generation of web-services implementations, and Z web services are
irrelevant outside the library world.

it's important to remember that both SOAP and REST are layers on XML,
whereas Z39.50 is a complete application (when you include profiles).
Just because two pieces of software support SOAP or REST doesn't mean
they can be used together. Someone still has to develop the
application. So if you're in a position to write an RFP, try to
specify that your vender provide well documented APIs that you can
provide to other developers without NDA. Any developer will tell you
that the documentation of a web-services API is more important than a
particular web-service flavor.

Eric

--

Eric Hellman, President                            Openly Informatics, Inc.
eric at openly.com                                    2 Broad St., 2nd Floor