[WEB4LIB] Re: library marketing (long, but with an on-topic point)

Bollinger,Stephen bollingers at cadl.org
Tue Feb 15 11:30:21 EST 2005

While I agree with many of Brian's points, I disagree with this one strongly.  We do not ask our patrons very much.  We don't ask them very well.  Most "patron" input comes from the often un-used Comment Card, chats at the desk, or Friends groups.

This is not the same as asking the people whom we could, but currently don't, serve.  Why don't they come in; can we offer them something; can we go to them?

Unless your library is different from every one I've ever dealt with, we are not asking the hard questions and we are not asking the people who are hard to get to.  That's the trick.  And other than complaining about it, I don't have any brilliant answers. ;^)

Yours,
-Steve