[Web4lib] Library Elf reveals user info

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Wed Dec 28 11:09:40 EST 2005

Mary Minow posts a rather amazing story about Library Elf on her web site:
   http://blog.librarylaw.com/librarylaw/2005/12/breaking_discov.html

According to Mary:
  "I had my Bloglines.com reader open for blog reading.  I typed
"library elf" in the SEARCH ALL BLOGS box
<http://www.bloglines.com/search?t=1&r=0&q=%22library%20elf%22>.
 Imagine my surprise when I got 228 results, most of which are
*individuals' accounts - one more click gives you first names, email
addresses, titles borrowed, on hold, etc. "

It isn't yet clear how this happens, but at least one person whose
account Mary retrieved claims that she had her feed marked as "private."

More and more libraries are becoming accessible through Library Elf --
this is not good news. Does anyone know how LE works and why this would
be the case? I took a quick look at LE and already some red flags shot
up -- such as it allows anyone to sign up for multiple accounts, e.g. a
parent can sign up with all of her children's library accounts. So much
for the rights of children.

kc
*

--