[Web4lib] Fwd: [CIRCPLUS] Student admits he lied about Mao bo ok

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Tue Dec 27 15:39:49 EST 2005

KGS> ALA, in fact, kept its knickers rather loose through the whole incident.
KGS> LibraryLand and the biblioblogosphere did well on this issue, in my opinion
KGS> (though you may have seen some Chicken Little activity I missed).

Well, quite a few lists had plenty of Chicken Little, panic, stress,
fear, political outbursts, etc.

KGS> The sad part is we live in a world where we aren't even surprised by the
KGS> idea that the Feds would monitor a student's reading habits or be able to do
KGS> so without us knowing they are doing it;

I'd be very surprised if they'd monitor anyone's reading habits if the
person weren't already being watched/suspected/whatever already.
There just aren't enough feds to do all that some fear they are doing
or might do.

As far as knowing what's happening, well, you never know...no matter
who is in power, what politics they have, etc.  The whole system is
based on trust.

KGS> and equally sad as well that we
KGS> would never say "but overall, library systems are far too secure for THAT to
KGS> ever happen."

I'd never say ANY system, including government military systems, are
that secure.  As a friend who is now our Campus Internet Security
Officer, who's had Top Secret clearance while working in DC and for
nuclear installations in the past, says that the ONLY secure computer
system is one that is locked in a room with 3 feet of lead in all the
walls, ceiling, and floor, no wires or cables of any type going in and
out, and one door with no one permitted to enter.

Of course that system wouldn't be very useful, either.

And as his last line indicates the weakest link is usually human,
since almost anyone can be enticed/corrupted/bought for the right
price/incentive.

Gee, a million bucks and a beautiful woman and tickets to
Brazil....hmmm....I just MIGHT let you know what books Professor Jones
has checked out....

Only one problem, I'm very happily married, so that one doesn't work
on me...but bet it would on many.  I'll also bet that the feds, or
plenty of non-feds could crack Voyager if they really had a reason to
do so, and for less than a million bucks, would also save the tickets
and the woman....

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA