[Web4lib] web counter and pdf conversion

Jenica Neamu jneamu at telus.net
Tue Dec 20 18:49:11 EST 2005

Hello:

I am in a process to digitize part of my library and also developing the
library website (on VPN). It seems that I came across two "puzzles":

1.  I am trying to link html files to my library catalog for the company I
work with.  This is an engineering company and I have a series of very large
pdf files (containing images, tables, charts). Small and medium size pdf
files  are easily retrievable through the link I provided in the library
catalog but the real large docs seem not to display for the end user (or it
is awfully slow)

Therefore, I tried to simply save them as html file (reduces considerably
the size of the file) but it would not maintain the format of tables; photos
are scattered all over...I also noticed that there are a series of software
out there all of them claiming how good they are, but I am afraid I would
not know to choose...or, are there other possibilities to make this
conversion so that the integrity of the doc would not be affected? I just
bought Acrobat 7.0 Professional.

2.  I need a reliable counter (hidden) -  according to your experience,
which one would you suggest me - and, of course, free.

Any suggestion would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Jenica Neamu

Librarian

Levelton Consultants Ltd.