[Web4lib] web page statistics

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 10:17:24 EST 2005

Google announced one, called Google Analytics, several weeks ago.
Unfortunately so many people signed up that they ended up closing new
registrations for a while.  Now they appear to have opened it up again for
limited enrollment.

The service is at: http://www.google.com/analytics/ or analytics.google.com.

The service requires you to put a snippet of code into each page you want
monitored.  Depending on how you manage your site, that could be trivial or
it could be a royal pain.

There are serious privacy concerns, and this method won't count pages viewed
by browsers that aren't running JavaScript.

/rich