[Web4lib] Wikipedia vs Britannica

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Dec 17 22:55:47 EST 2005

One person who is no longer on this list wrote:

> What the Wikipedia newbie may not understand is that Wikipedia
> [...] enforce their guidelines in some rather arbitrary and
> roughshod ways. Thus, if you know something about a
> topic--indeed, if you are publishing a book on that subject--you
> will find your edits "reverted" and labeled as vandalism.

I tried to read up on what his own Wikipedia controversy was
about, and I cannot say I understood everything.  And I don't
share the view that these conflicts are entirely Wikipedia's
problem.  I tend to see things from Wikipedia's angle and then
it's the vandals' problem that they get blocked, while Wikipedia's
problems would continue if they weren't blocked.

But I do share the analysis that many Wikipedia newbies may not
understand how Wikipedia works.  And this is a problem when
outside entities, such as Nature, encourage people to contribute.

In August this year a Norwegian librarian suggested on the mailing
list Biblioteknorge to collect funny literary blunders (such as
Shakespeare's mentioning of the "coast of Bohemia") on a page of
the Norwegian Wikipedia, only to see the new page immediately
suggested for deletion because it wasn't encyclopedic in
character.  Perhaps it was a good lesson that this surprise
happened in front of so many eyes.

What if a teacher suggests to students that they should contribute
to Wikipedia, and the students make mistakes and are perceived as
vandals?  If teachers want to take the class to a library or a
museum, they can make an appointment first, but at Wikipedia there
is nobody with whom you can make this kind of appointment in
advance.  There is no schedule for what should happen tomorrow.
Everything is now.  It doesn't have to stay that way for ever, but
right now I don't know of any way to deal with newbies who come in
through referral.

I know librarians can give advice on how to use (or not to use)
Wikipedia, as a reader.  But what do you tell people who want to
contribute?  Does that ever happen?  How should it work?

If you enter Wikipedia as a writer, your toes will be stepped on.
If they are already sore, you need to be extremely careful.  A
good rule might be to *avoid* editing topics where you have strong
feelings, such as the entry about yourself (if there is one).
Write about stuff you know, but where you can afford to admit that
you were wrong.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)