[Web4lib] Nature copyright clause (was Wikipedia vs. Britannica)

Mike Taylor mike at miketaylor.org.uk
Fri Dec 16 11:11:28 EST 2005

> Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 07:53:36 -0800
> From: Walt.Crawford at rlg.org
>
> 2. If you were required to agree to a license--to click on a
> EULA--to see the material, then it's no longer a copyright
> issue. Whether such a license would be legally conscionable or
> enforceable is quite another question, but you're dealing with
> contract law, not copyright law.

I had heard that such licences can only give you _more_ rights, not
take away the rights that the law gives you by default.  Is that
incorrect?  (I am about as far from being a lawyer as it's possible to
be.)

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at miketaylor.org.uk>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "[The Common People] invented a ritual of Standing in Queue to
	 Pay Their Last Respects to the Body.  A national day of queuing
	 is, when you think about it, deeply, deeply English.  I venture
	 to say that many of the people in the queue also talked about
	 the weather" -- Andrew Rilstone on the Queen Mother's funeral.