[Web4lib] Wikipedia vs Britannica

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Dec 15 17:01:09 EST 2005

I will try to stick to discussing issues. Things get complicated.

I just looked at several interesting pages about me on Wikipedia. I
mentioned earlier that I had tried to remove private information about
me from Wikipedia and was punished in the process through banning (and
ongoing sanctions from having to discuss this and having those incidents
arhived). At the time of this dispute, I overlooked an exchange in which
one of the Wikizealots posted a link to the public archives of a local
Indymedia list. I'm usually very cautious about giving out my home
address, but the list archived a message I had sent out to a person
about some get together. This is even more disturbing now, because the
person who posted this information to a secondary page has had an
obsession with posting personal information about me to Wikipedia.

The story gets more complicated, but this is an example where people dig
stuff up off the Internet and decontextualize for a Wikipedia entry. At
best, this is an annoyance, at worst it defames somebody or puts them at
personal risk in the real world.

I'm sure that some of the more famous librarians on this list would not
want to see Wikipedia entries about them which included home addresses
or phone numbers. As somebody who has had problems with stalkers, I just
want to underscore the severity of this privacy issue.

Chuck