[Web4lib] Wikipedia vs Britannica

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Dec 15 15:42:39 EST 2005

Drew, Bill wrote:
> Under what conditions were you banned?  I have edited several for
> corrected content without any problems.

I do not like being put on the spot with a question like that.

I made yet another attempt to correct false information that is being
added to an entry by a handful of Wiki-zealots. An analogy to what I did
might be if I found a section about how Jesus created fossils in the
entry for "evolution" and deleted it. The people who added that section
with bogus information are "watching" the article, they notice my
changes, "revert" them back, and then enlist an "admin" friend to ban my
IP after I remove the bogus information.

This goes on all the time on Wikipedia. This is the ugly side of
Wikipedia and it is a serious problem.

Chuck