[Web4lib] Wikipedia vs Britannica

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Dec 15 12:22:22 EST 2005

Patricia F Anderson wrote:
> Not just bad form, but illegal, especially for a list that is archived
> publicly online. Is there a way to edit the archives so that Nature
> doesn't get annoyed with us? -- Patricia

There are some of us who disagree. Information wants to be free and
sharing articles on an email discussion list certainly falls within even
the most conservative interpretation of fair use. We librarians ought to
be a bit more vocal about supporting the open sharing of information and
be opposed to closed and proprietary systems.

Against copyright and intellectual property,

C.