[Web4lib] simple (web?) app for organizing electronic resources?

Richard Anderson richard at katipo.co.nz
Thu Dec 15 12:12:18 EST 2005

Hi Ken,

The Koha library system - http://www.koha.org/- can be adapted for this.

Here's an example - http://www.lgnz.co.nz/ - Local Govt. NZ use Koha to
catalogue their online documents and make them searchable.

If you click on the library link in the top navigation and you get taken to
http://library.lgnz.co.nz/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl
This is a simplified version of the full Koha OPAC. Compare to the
Horowhenua Library Trust's Koha installation at
http://www.library.org.nz/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl

LGNZ staff actually search on their corporate library from the same
page. Access to searching on the corporate library is handled by IP
restriction.

Because the Koha uses a templating system, you can change the
cataloguing and OPAC pages to show as much information as you need for a
particular purpose. Koha uses Perl HTML::TEMPLATE for the templating, so
the main knowledge you will need to make the changes is HTML.

Koha is primarily developed in a LAMP environment with ports to MS.

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Anderson