[Web4lib] library school survey on e-government extended

Rachel Hally rhally at umd.edu
Sat Dec 10 12:06:35 EST 2005

Our survey deadline has been extended to December 16. Please
consider responding to our survey. Click here:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=234081577788

Dear WEB4LIB Subscriber:

This is a research project being conducted by Lee Strickland
of the Center for Information Policy at the University of
Maryland, College Park. If you have any questions about the
research study itself, please contact Lee S. Strickland at:
301-405-1741 or lstrickl at umd.edu. We are inviting you to
participate in this research project because you subscribe to
WEB4LIB and have an interest in electronic applications used
in libraries. Due to the constraints of our semester
schedule, we would appreciate it if you could respond by
Friday, Dec. 16, 2005. Click this link to access the survey:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=234081577788

The purpose of this research project is learn whether the
Federal government has done an adequate job of publicizing
the e-government programs initiated in response to President
George W. Bush’s introduction of his 24 initiatives to
facilitate government provision of services to citizens and
businesses, and among agencies. We are attempting to
determine whether the government has marketed its services in
such a way that causes librarians in public libraries
recommend them to patrons over commercial enterprises
providing similar services.

The procedures involve completing a survey online. There are
22 questions which should take less than 20 minutes to
complete. The first section of the survey includes questions
about your library, community, and patrons. No individually-
identifiable data will be collected. The second part of the
survey includes questions regarding your knowledge of various
Federal e-government initiatives and similar services offered
by the private and nonprofit sectors. At any time while you
are answering the questions, you can abandon the survey by
clicking “Exit this survey.” After all survey information is
collected and analyzed, a copy of the study results will be
posted to WEB4LIB.

We will do our best to keep your personal information
confidential. The survey is anonymous and will not contain
any information that may personally identify you. If we write
a report or article about this research project, your
identity will be protected to the maximum extent possible.
Your responses may be shared with representatives of the
University of Maryland, College Park or governmental
authorities if you or someone else is in danger or if we are
required to do so by law.

There are no known risks associated with participating in
this research project.

The benefits to you include potentially learning about
resources you can use in serving your patrons, and receiving
the results of the survey and research project.

Your participation in this research is completely voluntary.
You may choose not to take part at all. If you decide to
participate in this research, you may stop participating at
any time. If you decide not to participate in this study or
if you stop participating at any time, you will not be
penalized or lose any benefits to which you otherwise
qualify. By responding to the survey, you are indicating that
you understand the conditions and freely agree to participate.

The University of Maryland does not provide any medical,
hospitalization or other insurance for participants in this
research study, nor will the University of Maryland provide
any medical treatment or compensation for any injury
sustained as a result of participation in this research
study, except as required by law.

If you have questions about your rights as a research subject
or wish to report a research-related injury, please contact:
Institutional Review Board Office, University of Maryland,
College Park, Maryland, 20742;
(e-mail) Institutional Review Board at deans.umd.edu;
(telephone) 301-405-0678
This research has been reviewed according to the University
of Maryland, College Park INSTITUTIONAL REVIEW BOARD
procedures for research involving human subjects.

We thank you for your consideration of this project. Survey
results will be posted to WEB4LIB for your review.

Sincerely,

Rachel Hally and Jenny Spike