[Web4lib] Blogging arxiv

george at library.caltech.edu george at library.caltech.edu
Thu Aug 25 14:49:15 EDT 2005

[Forwarding from CHMINF-L. -- George]

>From ... http://crookedtimber.org/2005/08/24/blogging-arxiv/

"Blogging arxiv
Posted by Henry

Sean Carroll reports that the arxiv pre-print series has started to
integrate itself into the blogosphere; this strikes me as a Very Big
Deal indeed for academic blogging. Non-physicists may not be familiar
with arxiv (I know that I certainly wasn't before I started getting
interested in network topology) - it's effectively replaced journal
publication as the primary means for physicists to communicate with each
other. Journal publication is still important - but as an imprimatur, a
proof of quality, rather than a way to disseminate findings to a wider
audience. arxiv has now introduced trackbacks - people visiting the
abstract of a paper on arxiv can see what blogs have commented on the
paper, and read what they have had to say.
Furthermore, arxiv has rss feeds of recent papers, classified by subject
matter, making it much easier to keep up with new publications in a
subfield."