[Web4lib] Metadata and Networked Knowledge Organization Systems, Special Session at DC-2005

Traugott Koch t.koch at ukoln.ac.uk
Wed Aug 24 06:00:58 EDT 2005

Metadata and Networked Knowledge Organization Systems, Special Session
at DC-2005

On Tuesday, September 13th, a special session at DC-2005 in Madrid will,
over a three-hour period, deal with the practical applications of
Networked Knowledge Organization Systems (NKOS) in the context of
metadata, under the title: "Enhancing the Understanding of Meaning".

Please see the programme page for this event at:
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/terminology/events/NKOSatDCMI05.html

Douglas Tudhope, University of Glamorgan, will reflect on the role of
KOS and ontologies and the future evolution of protocols for
programmatic access to thesauri, based on experience developing a pilot
Web Service terminology browser with the SKOS API.

Rachel Heery, UKOLN, University of Bath, will talk about the content,
usage and role of vocabulary registries and is presenting an overview of
relevant initiatives.

Andy Powell, from the same institution, makes the case for persistent
identifiers of concepts and terms and advises on current best practice
regarding creation, application and registration of identifiers for
terminology.

Eric Childress will introduce OCLC's activities with respect to
identifiers in the context of the Dewey Decimal Classification.

The second part of the session begins with two case studies from the
National Biological Information Infrastructure and the NASA Goddard
Library, presented by Gail Hodge, Information International Associates.

This is the basis for a concluding Question & Answer session aimed at
sharing the experience of the audience as well as reactions from a large
group of experts in metadata and KOS.

The special session is part of DC-2005, International Conference on
Dublin Core and Metadata Applications. To participate, please register
with the conference at http://dc2005.uc3m.es/

For details of other NKOS activities and events, please consult the NKOS
web site at http://nkos.slis.kent.edu/

I look forward to seeing you at this event,
Traugott Koch