[Web4lib] Outside disk usage

McMorris,Don dmcmorris at sals.edu
Fri Aug 19 22:54:21 EDT 2005

There are devices out there that you can install in a 5.25" bay, to move USB ports and whatnot up to the front.  This basically has a big cable run to the back into a free slot, and then an external cable plugs in to all the ports (IE: USB, sound, etc).

 http://tinyurl.com/a4mgm

This particular device would retail for about $40.  Manhattan products are carried at smaller computer shops, which generally also market Intellinet network products.

This particular product reads 4 memory cards (a lot more with adapters), and relocates mic/headphone, USB, and firewire to the front of the PC.  The card reader is USB.  I believe it has an internal USB hub.  So, you install it in an available 5.25" bay, and run a cable to a free slot at the back of the pc.  From that slot (on the outside), you have a combo cable with USB, mic, headphone, and firewire.  You just plug them into the appropriate ports.  There is actually no PCI card or anything like that.

Now, one common scenario I ran into when installing these, is that people don't have firewire.  No problem.  Just cover the port with a piece of electrical tape, and don't plug in the firewire cable in the back.  the rest will still work.

With a device similar to this, you will now have an internal card reader, front headphone, and front USB.  And, because it's internal, there's little chance of theft.

I'm sure that if you looked around, you could find devices fairly similar to this from other vendors.

--Don

------------------------
"Proudly serving the 964 residents of the Village of Salem, NY"

Donald J McMorris Jr.
Assistant Librarian
Bancroft Public Library
181 South Main St