[Web4lib] Google and scanning

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Fri Aug 19 09:41:50 EDT 2005

Interesting item from a Book Standard article about Google's latest
stock offering:

"The only mention that Google's prospectus makes to the company's plans
to scan copyrighted materials from libraries is in its "risk factor"
section. There, the company notes, "Some individuals and organizations
have raised objections to our scanning of copyrighted materials from
library collections for use in our Google Print product. Aspects of our
future products may raise similar public concerns. Publicity regarding
such concerns could harm our brand.""

Bernie Sloan
Senior Information Systems Consultant
Consortium of Academic & Research Libraries in Illinois
616 E. Green Street, Suite 213
Champaign, IL  61820-5752

Phone: (217) 333-4895
Fax:   (217) 265-0454