[Web4lib] Outside disk usage

Joshua Daniel Franklin jdf.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 16:07:35 EDT 2005

On 8/16/05, Mitchell, Michael wrote:
> I'd be most concerned about someone bringing in a device with Linux set
> up on it and bypassing Windows entirely in order to attack the library
> network or other outside network.

If you're really afraid of this, I don't see USB devices (or even linux) as the
most likely vector here. Unpatched Windows? They can exploit it and install
a rootkit directly from CD or online. Some BIOSes even have a bypass key
to boot from CD even when it's disabled by default.

That's not to mention the good reasons for a guest to boot linux on a
public machine. For example, I read something about companies giving
out a customized Knoppix with a VPN configured to avoid virus-prone
laptops. That would work on public library machines, too.