[Web4lib] Storage and management of large volumes of digitized materials

Henk Matthezing Henk.Matthezing at kb.nl
Thu Aug 11 11:08:30 EDT 2005

Message is being posted to several lists, apologies for crossposting.

Dear listmembers,

The Koninklijke Bibliotheek (National Library of the Netherlands) is advancing to a new fase of large scale digitization projects. The first of these will be the digitization of all minutes and documents produced by both chambers of parliament. This will include about 10 million images in various formats, OCR text en images in pdf with highlighting. This first project is estimated to need about 40 terabytes of storage space. With future projects this may grow to 100s of Tb, maybe even to petabytes.
I would be very interested if any of you has experience with this scale of digitization? What kind of storage systems are used (Storage Area Networks, Network Attached Storage)? are these distributed systems or a centralized system. What type of (virtual) file system is used?
I also would like to know if you use a CMS or DAMS (Digital Assets Management Systems) or have found other solutions for workflow management and maintenance. I would be very happy when advantages or drawbacks of the various solutions could be indicated.

I know I ask some big questions but I would be very glad if you could help me out.
If you can't answer my questions directly but know colleagues or other persons not on this list who are involved in these kind of projects (or other lists where this topic is appropriate), please feel free to forward my message.

Thanking you in advance

Vriendelijke groet/Kind regards

Henk Matthezing
Research & Development
Koninklijke Bibliotheek / National Library of the Netherlands
Bibliothèque National des Pays Bas
P.O.B. 90407                                               Phone:+31 70 3140 687
2509 LK Den Haag                                      Fax:  +31 70 3140 424
E-mail: henk.matthezing at kb.nl
KB: http://www.kb.nl/
GvN: http://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/
NEDBIB-L: http://www.kb.nl/nedbib-l