[Web4lib] Podcasting

D.H. Mattison dmattison at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 11 00:37:14 EDT 2005

Podcasts are MP3 (audio) files that folks download to their iPod or any
other kind of device capable of playing an MP3 file. So any library
technology that currently involves audio may be a suitable candidate for a
podcast. One use for podcasts that would be quite popular I think would be
recordings of authors, whether writers of children, teen or adult books,
doing library readings. Of course you'd have to get the author's permission
to make the recording available to the public at no charge. I think most
authors would be delighted to have this additional exposure.

Library instruction would be another candidate. You could also create
library mystery podcasts or puzzle or scavenger podcasts where the podcasts
is used to guide the library patron through the process of learning about
the library by having them locate information at specific points in the
library.

The other major use of podcasts is to convert blog entries into podcasts
that's already being used by some libraries. Jenny Levine talks about this
in her Shifted Librarian blog (http://www.theshiftedlibrarian.com). In one
of her entries on podcasts she also talks about the use of podcasts for
games.

I have some podcast resource descriptions, including software, on my blog
(http://www.davidmattison.ca/wordpress/index.php?s=podcasts).

David Mattison
Victoria, BC, Canada
dmattison at shaw.ca