[Web4lib] Re: OpenSearch, Koha, and Library Catalogs [SRW/U]

Eric Lease Morgan emorgan at nd.edu
Wed Aug 10 08:45:47 EDT 2005

On Jul 27, 2005, at 7:18 AM, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:

> Creating an SRU client is not as hard as it might seem to be. All
> you really need is an HTML form and a browser that understands CSS
> and/or XSTL. Here is a simple client:
>
>   <form action='sru-server.cgi' method='GET'>
>    <input name='operation'  type='hidden' value='searchRetrieve'  />
>    <input name='version'    type='hidden' value='1.1'             />
>    <input name='stylesheet' type='hidden' value='sru-results.css' />
>    <input name='query'      type='text'   value='dogs and cats'   />
>   </form>

As a part of a sponsored NSF grant called OCKHAM a few SRW/U servers
can clients have been implemented, and in an effort to demonstrate
what a simple SRU client can look like, I have created a rudimentary
HTML form at the following URL:

   http://mylibrary.ockham.org/simple/

The underlying SRU server supports spelling suggestions a la Google,
as well as synonym suggestions from WordNet. Our full-blown
implementation supports statistically calculated keyword suggestions
based on a relevance ranking algorithm. All of these features are
intended to provide Find More Like This One functionality.

This particular SRU client is really there to demonstrate how the S
in SRU could stand for simple. To implement an SRU client all you
really need is a "modern" Web browser.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University Libraries of Notre Dame